AECOM Job Vacancy for Practice Area lead – Mechanical
AECOM partners with various communities, clients etc globally with a set objective to develop and implement innovative solutions to the world’s most complex challenges. Professionals are currently needed to join our team in making sure that our set objective is achieved.
AECOM: Practice Area lead – Mechanical
Job Field: Engineering & Mining
Roles and Responsibilities of this AECOM Job Vacancy
- Leadership of the Mechanical team, including Fire, HVAC, Piping, Plumbing and XA Modelling
- Management Reporting.
- Lead project Engineer Roles.
- Preparation and management of schedules, estimates, progress reports, meetings, procurement etc.
- Mechanical engineering and design during all project phases according to client, national and international standards.
- Assessing of Client / Project Mechanical Engineering Requirements.
- Prepare concept design and the ability to objectively evaluate both technically and commercially, different options based upon project objectives / requirements.
- Cost Estimation of Mechanical Engineering scope of work, including equipment and construction costs.
- Detailed Mechanical Engineering including the development and checking of :
- Mechanical Engineering and Design, including rational fire design,
- LOADEST, HAP and Design Builder experience,
- Compressed Air and Medical Gas experience,
- HVAC Engineering and Design,
- Sprinkler and fire water reticulation design experience,
- Wet Service design experience,
- Conceptual Design experience,
- Use of International and Local design standards and codes of practice
- Quality assurance (factory and site)
- Safety and environment
- Interface with Energy Efficiency and providing energy efficient mechanical solutions.
- Participate and Perform squad checks of vendor data and drawings from other disciplines.
- Develop and check equipment purchase specification and develop RFQ’s.
- Develop technical scope of work and tender documentation and bills of quantities for construction contracts.
- Develop tender documentation, adjudicate tenders, provide re-measurement of works and approve contract claims.
- Prepare Project Scheduling and Planning, developing basic Bar charts for Mechanical Engineering input to project management team.
- Manage progress & quality control activities for equipment manufacture.
- Conduct vendor inspections and factory acceptance testing of equipment.
- Provide field engineering support to construction and commissioning teams.
- Project handover and closeout documentation.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to less experienced engineers.
- Assist in the setting up of standard engineering documentation and methodology for the mechanical engineering unit.
- Develop Client relations and extend the client base.
- Assist in the preparation of tenders for Mechanical unit workload.
- BSc Mechancal Engineering, (Pr Eng) or BTech (Pr Tech)
- Minimum 6 years mechanical project engineering experience, with significant experience in a heavy industrial environments as well as industrial / commercial building infrastructure experience.
Key skills and Competencies
The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated team player with:
- Sound mechanical engineering knowledge and experience in the industrial and commercial environment
- An intimate knowledge of local standards and codes.
- Be able to develop engineering documentation from first principles.
- Be able to work within a disciplined engineering environment.
- Conversant with HAP, Loadest, Design Builder, IES and similar building simulation and analysis software.
- An intimate working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, Access and Microsoft Project.
- Professional registration and membership in external technical societies.
- Experience with Green Building Design and accreditation.
- Be well acquainted with local equipment, manufacturers, suppliers and installation contractors.
- A thorough knowledge of the OHS Act, pertinent SANS and IEC codes and standards and industry practices.
- Good communication and people management skills for effective interface with other engineering disciplines, the client and contractors.
- The ability to work independently.
- An awareness and appreciation for health, safety and environmental issues.